St Peter's, Bryngwyn

PCC: 

  • Church Wardens:   Sam Ingleford, Kay Spencer
  • Treasurer: Helen Hayward
  • Secretary: Jill Fletcher
  • Rotas: Janet Norman
  • Entertainment:  Olwen Smith
  • Members: Bill Fletcher, Shila Vaughan, Janet Norman, Helen Watkins
  • Women’s Institute: Carol Tranter
  • Bryngwyn Magazine: Helen Watkins. bryngwynparish@hotmail.com 

Bryngwyn Diary 

Bryngwyn Parish News (covers Bryngwyn, Great Oak, Croes Bychan and Wern y Cwrt)

Crawley Hall:  Contact: Simon Williams-Powell 07927 150363 www.crawleyhall.btck.co.uk

History of St Peter’s Church, Bryngwyn


Said to have been founded in 1188 upon the visit of Archbishop Baldwin and Gerald of Wales, St Peter’s lies on a natural rise in the centre of the small rural parish of Bryngwyn.  

A tree on the green in front of the church gate was planted to mark the accession of Queen Victoria. 

Wade.G.W., Monmouthshire (1909)  

St Peter’s Church in Bryngwyn, Wales is a typical small rural church that was enlarged by the addition of a north aisle and a chancel arch which has recently required buttressing. A square-headed two-light window on the south wall of the nave and a doorway and stairs in the north wall indicate the position of the old rood-loft.  The high doorway in the tower indicates an old gallery, the rails of which, it is suggested, have been reused in the altar-rail.  There is a trefoiled piscina in the Chancel south wall and Early English and Perpendicular windows.  The imposing oak reredos was gifted by the Crawley family, and the head of our Lord falls to the North which unsurprisingly echoes the northward divergence of the Chancel axis.

The porch has been described as a poem in oak with its curved lintels, ogee arch and brace-arches.  Stone seats and the handsome studded door show it to be an integral part of building.

The Powell family have a long history of service to Bryngwyn.  Thomas Powell (1767-1844) was the Bryngwyn Parish clerk for many years until his death.  His son James (1803 -1875) took over from him and was the Parish clerk in 1836, and also then became in 1837 the official registrar for BMD. The family still live in the Raglan area.

 

Bryngwyn, 1885

Maps of Bryngwyn Old and New

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901

Bryngwyn

BRYNGWYN is a parish, on the high road from Monmouth to Abergavenny, 2½ miles north-west from Raglan station, on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and, Pontypool section of the Great Western railway, 9½ west-south-west from Monmouth, and 6½ from Usk, in the southern division of the county, Raglan hundred and petty sessional division, union of Abergavenny, county court district of Usk and in the rural deanery of Raglan, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The parish church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, originally in the Early English style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells, of which the tenor has the legend : " Ave Maria, gratiae plena" ; the second, "Deo detur gloria, Fear God; Honour the King, 1632 "; the third bell is inscribed, "Thomas Harry, churchwarden": there are 100 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1643, marriages, 1755. The living is a rectory, net yearly income, £150, with 40 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny, and held since 1896 by the Rev. John Frederick Walwyn Trumper B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The charities amount to £21 yearly, which is distributed in bread and money.

Extensive drainage of land has taken place within the last 50 years. A British camp, called "The Camp Hill," is in this parish, and there is an out-post connected with it at Wern-y-Cwrt.

The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Col. Ivor John Caradoc Herbert, C.B., C.M.G., of Llanarth Court, and William Reginald Joseph Fitzherbert Herbert esq. of Clytha Park. The soil gravel, and clay in parts; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are corn, hay and some roots. The area is 1,480 acres; rateable value, £1,729; the population in 1891 was 252.

Post Office: Mrs. Matilda Taylor, sub-postmistress.
Letters are received through Raglan, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, & arrive at 8.30 a.m., dispatched 4.45 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes: Wern-y-Cwrt, cleared at 5.15 p.m., and Great Oak, cleared at 5 p.m.

Parochial School, built in 1872, for 52 children ; average attendance, 40.
Miss Alice Dowding, mistress

PRIVATE
Hamilton Mrs., Box bush
Trumper Rev. John Frederick Walwyn B.A. The Rectory

COMMERCIAL
Crawley Sophia (Miss), farmer, Oak farm
Griffiths Morgan, farmer & miller (water)
Hunt William, farmer, Cross-by-chan
Jeffreys Rosine Amelia (Mrs.), farmer, Chapel farm
Jones Philip, farmer
Mizen Earle James Herbert, farmer
Powell Frances (Mrs.), carpenter
Price Richard, farmer, Hendre farm
Richards Charles, farmer, High house
Summers, William, plasterer
Williams James, shopkeeper & plasterer
Williams Thomas, Red Lion P.H. and Tremynach farm
Williams William, farmer, Brynhyryd

(From Wade, Monmouthshire, 1909)

Bryngwyn ('White Hill"), a parish  2 m. W.N.W. of Raglan.  The church has a small W. battlemented tower which retains a pre-reformation bell.  The rood loft stairway and window remain in the nave, and in the vestry is the old church chest.  A tree on the green in  front of the church gate was planted to mark the accession of Queen Victoria.  

http://www.archive.org/details/monmouthshire00wade

Author: Wade, G. W. (George Woosung), 1858-1941; Wade, Joseph Henry, b. 1861

Publisher: London : Methuen & Co.

Bryngwyn Church records are held in the Gwent Record Office including Baptisms from 1660 - 1934; Marriages from 1665 - 1970 and Burials from 1666-1925 (some of which have been transcribed).  For more information go to Genuki, or Monmouthshire Family History Records - Bryngwyn

For more information about Bryngwyn please visit Bryngwyn on Raglan Domesday